Monday, July 25, 2011

Week 3 EOC: Demographics- MINE

    Being that I was born in 1992 I fall under the category of Millennial (also known as Generation Y).  I would have to say I concur with this aspect of life.  Yes, I grew up with technology all around me; I had my first email in grade school, I got my first cell phone in the fifth grade, and I got my first iPod in the seventh grade.  Ever since I feel there’s nothing out in technology that I don’t know how to use or feel comfortable using, it’s like a second language to this generation.  “All of the Millennials have in common is their utter fluency and comfort with digital technology. They don’t just embrace technology, it’s a way of life. The Millennials were the first generation to grow up in a world filled with computers, cellphones, satellite TV, iPods, and online social networks. A recent study found that 91 percent of Millennials are on the Web, making up 32 percent of all U.S. Internet users. According to another study, 77 percent of Millennials frequent social networking sites and 71 percent use instant messaging. “All generations are comfortable with technology, but this is the generation that’s been formed by technology,” says a Yahoo! executive. For them, “it’s not something separate. It’s just something they do.” (Marketing: An Introduction Chapter 3 pg. 17)  

According to stated statistics the millennial generation is definitely the biggest yet to exist.  With baby boomers reaching at 78 million people born during the time between 1946 to 1964, and Generation X resting at about 45 million being born between 1965 and 1976.  The Millennial generation reaches a high of 83 million being born between 1977 and 2000.  We have the world in our hands because our demographic label is made up of such a variety of ages ranging from pre-teens, teens, and young adults.  A lot of what’s made today is directed towards the younger generation from political views to automakers even television shows.  “With total purchasing power of more than $733 billion, the Millennials make up a huge and attractive market.” (Marketing: An Introduction Chapter 3 pg.16)  We have the older generations relying on us and our careers to determine how much social security and taxes that will be received to help them with their retirement.  So yes, I see eye to eye with my demographic label.

No comments:

Post a Comment